Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Birth story part 2...

So around 10:30am we headed to the hospital. I had called my OB dr's office and the dr on call agreed I should come in. When we arrived we were put into triage and I was hooked up to monitors that tracked baby's heart beat and my contractions. Here's the catch... After my water broke my contractions practically stopped. One maybe every 15mins and not very painful at all. Your water breaking is suppose to make labor progress faster and with that said I know the dr and nurse in triage where sceptical that my water actually broke. "This chic just pee'd her pants" ...I know that's what they where all thinking. After over 2hrs in triage and three different tests they finally determined my water did actually break and I was still only 1cm dilated. Finally, this all meant we would be admitted, I would be started on pitocin to get my contractions going, and we were having a baby! Yay!
By the time we were settled in our room, and pitocin was started it was 2pm. I labored from 2pm until 3:30 when the nurse came in and asked me to rank my contraction pains 1-10. I said they were around a 4 or 5 and I didnt want to be checked yet. Once she checked me I wanted to hear at least 3cm so I choose to hold out in fear of disappointment. At 4:15 nurse came back in and gave me no choice, she needed to check me. I was 3cm and def feeling more pain at this point so though it was a good time to ask for the epidural. By the time I got the epidural it was 5pm and those 45mins of contractions going from 3cm to 4cm where def painful. No talking all breathing and all I kept thinking was I was hooked up to a torture chamber( aka pitocin drip) every time I heard the drip I cringed dreading the contractions it was creating. The epidural couldn't have gone more smoothly and I felt almost immediate relief yet just the right amount of pressure where I could still tell when I was having a contraction (important for the pushing process later).
Now pain free, my parents, Hunters parents, myself and Hunter all hung out in my room watching college football for the rest of the evening while my body did it's thing.. From 5pm to 9:30pm I went from 5cm to 10cm and was ready to push. The rents stepped out, I pushed for 40mins and sweet baby boy made his appearance at 10:29pm!
Overall I look back and am very thankful for my labor experience. I guess I fully expected something to go wrong or array and nothing did. It was pretty text book!

And some pictures of the joyous day!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

3 comments:

  1. congrats kristen - he's beautiful! i know you're a proud momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You look beautiful and your baby boy is precious. I LOVE reading birth stories (I finally just posted my own!) and seeing how different every one is. Way to go mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetest blessing Lunsford's! Little HL5 couldn't be any sweeter or handsome, he's precious! Sending lots of love to the family of 3.5 your way... Jake is .5, btw! xo

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs